This light chocolate souffle is made from Laughing Gull’s spiced drinking chocolate mix, a sweet, chocolatey and spiced combination of stone ground dark chocolate, sugar, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. If you’re feeling extra decadent then drizzle with salted caramel chocolate sauce for a mouth-watering experience.
- 2 tbsp Butter (plus extra for coating the ramekins)
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar (plus extra for coating the ramekins)
- 8 oz Laughing Gull Chocolates spiced chocolate mix (including cacao, sugar, cayenne and cinnamon)
- 7 Eggs, separated
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 6 ramekins or 1 large souffle dish and coat with sugar.
- Heat the chocolate and butter in a glass or metal bowl over a double boiler, stirring occasionally. When blended and smooth, remove from heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add the granulated sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks until slightly paler in colour.
- Add whisked egg yolks to the chocolate mixture, then fold in egg whites.
- Spoon or pipe the chocolate mixture into the prepared ramekins and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake until risen and baked, this could be anything from 12-20 minutes, depending on the size of your ramekin.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with ice cream or whipped cream.
This recipe was kindly provided by Lindsay, chief chocolatier and founder of Laughing Gull Chocolates, in New York. Laughing Gull Chocolates make mouthwatering chocolate products with ethically and locally sourced ingredients. They host chocolate workshops, virtual experiences including chocolate, wine and beer pairings, private workshops and chocolate tastings.
This was the recipe is a part of the Great #ChocolateBakeoff! For the next few weeks, we at Cacao Magazine want you to bake your signature chocolate bake using your favourite chocolate and join us for The Great Chocolate Bake Off!
Post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ChocolateBakeoff and tag us (@readcacao). We’ll be sharing all recipes in our stories and post our favourite recipes on the website! We’ll share which chocolate you used so people interested in the recipe can help support the chocolate makers.
At the end of all of this, we’ll put the recipes to a peoples vote – the overall favourite recipe will win a year’s worth of Cacao Magazine’s (starting with Issue 3 when it comes out)!