Once you’ve experienced homemade chocolate spread you will never go back and this inclusion of Solstice’s 70% Uganda Bundibugyo bar is simply divine. Because this recipe makes enough for a few jars it would also make a great gift for a fellow chocolate lover!
- 350g whole roasted hazelnuts (still warm from roasting if possible)
- 210g sugar
- 30g water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 – 120g excellent dark chocolate, melted (Solstice 70% Uganda works perfectly)
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Mix sugar and water in a small pan, heat on medium/high heat without stirring until it becomes a nice golden caramel colour.
- Mix in the hazelnuts and very quickly pour them on the baking sheet and spread them to make sure they’re all covered in caramel – using the same technique as when preparing a praliné!
- When cool enough to handle but still warm to touch, break into pieces and drop in a food processor. Process, adding the salt and olive oil.
- If you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix transfer everything in it at this point and add the melted chocolate. Process until super creamy. At least 3 minutes. If you don’t, just keep it in the food processor and process a bit longer. It will keep a bit of texture and that’s nice too!
- Fill in a few jars and spread the joy!
This recipe is a part of the Great #ChocolateBakeoff! For the next few weeks, we at Cacao Magazine want you to bake your signature chocolate bake using your favourite chocolate and join us for The Great Chocolate Bake Off!
Post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ChocolateBakeoff and tag us (@readcacao). We’ll be sharing all recipes in our stories and post our favourite recipes on the website! We’ll share which chocolate you used so people interested in the recipe can help support the chocolate makers.
At the end of all of this, we’ll put the recipes to a peoples vote – the overall favourite recipe will win a year’s worth of Cacao Magazine’s (starting with Issue 3 when it comes out)!