I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t enjoy a delicious slab of homemade banana bread. Enjoyed first thing in the morning, at brunch or for dessert. It never disappoints.
If you’ve enjoyed a cup of our brewing cacao you will know that after enjoying a cup of Cacao Brew, you are left with the brewed cacao grounds in the bottom of your cafetière. These grounds can be used in a variety of recipes where you would usually use cacao nibs or chocolate chips.
Banana bread was the first thing we tried adding the leftover cacao grounds to and we’ve not stopped adding them to recipes ever since! Try it for yourself. Here we share our favourite banana bread recipe with a Cacao Brew twist.
- 280g plain flour (replace with gluten-free plain white flour to make this recipe gluten-free)
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 3 very ripe, almost blackened bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork
- Brewed cacao grounds from 2 cups of Cacao Brew (after enjoying a brew, drain any remaining water from the leftover grounds and place in an airtight container in the fridge before use)
- Optional: 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4 and line a 1kg loaf tin with baking parchment. You might want to butter the tin first so that the parchment stays in place.
- Add flour and bicarbonate of soda to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl until light and fluffy, and then gradually add the egg mixture while continuing to stir.
Add the mashed bananas to the butter, sugar and egg mix. Beat for a couple of minutes.
- Fold in the flour and bicarbonate of soda until just combined.
Add your leftover brewed cacao grounds and fold through.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, its ready! If there is still raw dough on the skewer, return the loaf to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin.
- Once cool, remove from the tin, cut into nice chunky slabs and enjoy!
- To store the banana bread, wrap in baking parchment and store in either the fridge or a cool place. If storing in the fridge, bring the banana bread to room temperature before you tuck in.
- Enjoy alongside a cup of Cacao Brew for the ultimate cacao fix!
This recipe was kindly provided by Jazmin from Cacao Brew UK. Cacao Brew is a company that sells small-batch, luxury organic brewing cacao, based in England.
This was the first recipe of the Great #ChocolateBakeoff! For the next few weeks, we at Cacao Magazine want you to bake your signature chocolate bake using your favourite chocolate and join us for The Great Chocolate Bake Off!
Post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ChocolateBakeoff and tag us (@readcacao). We’ll be sharing all recipes in our stories and post our favourite recipes on the website! We’ll share which chocolate you used so people interested in the recipe can help support the chocolate makers.
At the end of all of this, we’ll put the recipes to a peoples vote – the overall favourite recipe will win a year’s worth of Cacao Magazine’s (starting with Issue 3 when it comes out)!